Tuesday, June 5, 2007

My Arm Hurts So Much I Could Barely Type All of This

Only a few days before I leave for Asia. I'm starting to get a little anxious. It might be the four shots I got that are causing my arm to feel like it's going to fall off. (In case you were concerned, I'm now protected against Hepatitis-A, Polio, Typhoid Fever, Tetanus, Diptheria, and Whooping Cough, but still vulnerable to Dengue Fever and virulent strains of TB brought onto planes by punk-ass Americans who selfishly insist on traveling despite doctor's warnings.)

I have a sense this trip is going to be very different from my time in Argentina. Already, I've been jumping through hoops to get a Vietnam visa and to book a flight from Vietnam to Cambodia. (Vietnam Air does not take credit cards, apparently.)

Minor travel anxieties aside, though, I'm pretty darn happy right now.

Tomorrow's agenda: finding sporty sandals that don't look ridiculous or like I'm in an osteoporosis commercial, and figuring out where exactly I'm going to stay when I get to Saigon on Sunday. (I'm wondering whether I have to call it Ho Chi Minh City, because Saigon is fewer words, and despite overwhelming evidence of my long-windedness to the contrary, I support using fewer words when it comes to naming cities. They Might Be Giants should write a song about that!)

2 comments:

Ashley Koonce said...

Hotel Rex (or maybe Rex Hotel) is right in the middle of the city. It's pretty cheap (but then, what isn't), but the location is money. There's a spa on the top floor too. It's a "luxury" hotel...i.e., the windows open and the room comes with a hair dryer. Have an awesome trip!

Rebecca said...

Wow, I am so excited for you. I can't believe you'll be in Vietnam in a few days! I hope you are thinking of your paper loving friend here in the city of an severly overcrowded 7 train and virulent strains of too-skinny-for-words-girls-who-need-to-drop-the-diet-Red-Bull-and-pick-up-donut type of out breaks.

Post cards, my friend! And any other papers you come across of an Asian infleunce are welcome. I'll gladly repay you either currency or some handmade item of your choice. Need a knit monkey traveling companion?? ;)