Monday, June 11, 2007

Good Morning Vietnam Redux

So some eight hours have passed, I've had a long nap, a beer, and a chance to talk to the luggage people. Word on the street (tr: a United Customer Service operator in New Delhi) says that my luggage made its way to Hong Kong, and supposedly arrives in Saigon yet tonight. So, my current mood -- aided much by the nap and the beer -- is one of cautious optimism.

Prior to the nap-taking, I spent the morning trying to find some clothing more appropriate for the climate and also that I hadn't been wearing for two straight days to travel. Hopefully my luggage arrives tonight, but I once went five days without luggage on a Caribbean vacation. Thus, I have learned to anticipate the worst-case scenario.

Shmanyway, two different people I talked to sent me to a large market to buy "cheap" (tr: counterfeit Polo and Lacoste) clothing. It was an interesting, if not demoralizing, experience. Problem number one is that I am an Amazon woman compared to most Vietnamese people. Yesterday on the plane to Saigon I ended up helping everyone put their bags in the overhead compartment because I was pretty much the only person who could reach without standing on the seat. Seriously -- I kid you not. Anyway, when I went to buy some t-shirts at the market, two women just said to me "too big, too big." Not exactly what any girl ever wants to hear, but particularly not when already jet lagged and devoid of any remotely clean clothing.

Another person tried to sell me some pants, but then physically blocked me into her stall when I tried to leave without buying the knock-off $20 Tommy Hilfiger linen crop pants (style: Chicos circa 1998), that were somewhat amusingly in a size XXXXXL. I had to ask her probably about 30 times to let me leave before she did, and then she called me "crazy" when I walked away. Given the six inches and umpteen pounds I had on her, I wasn't concerned physically about being trapped. But, I did not want to create a scene/commit an assault in a market in a communist country where I don't speak the language and they supposedly are fond of arresting people.

In the end, I ended up buying some t-shirts in a supermarket, and went back to the hotel to stalk the luggage people and take a nap. I'm hoping for less adventure tomorrow, and more straight-up communist propaganda. (The War Museum and Reunification Palace are on my agenda.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Not the most auspicious introduction to Vietnam. Sounds like those people who try to get you to buy a massage at the street fairs also work in clothing stalls in Saigon. Fingers crossed your luggage arrived...