Monday, June 18, 2007

24 Hour Party People

Barb and I made our way from the beach to Siem Reap, a trip that involved multiple tuk tuk rides, two bus companies, one annoying toddler, many strange food smells, and about ten hours on the bus.

But we're here, and today we got to see a bunch of really cool temples (including Angkor Wat), but I'm too exhausted from climbing so many steps and what not to say much about them. So instead, I'll tell you a amusing nugget from the beach.

Many of the bars and restaurants at the beach would send someone up and down the beach handing out fliers to people about their latest parties. I think the fliers are what turned us on to the bar Monkey Republic. (Sidenote: We saw pink-bottomed monkeys today, and Barb fed them mini-bananas.) But, my favorite fliers were for a bar that we never actually went to, The Dolphin Shack (or Dolphin Club, or Dolphin Room or some other beach name like that).

The first flier we got from the Dolphin Shack advertised "Free Shit Shots" at their party that night. I can only assume -- and seriously hope -- that this was a translation snafu, but I can't figure out for the life of me what they meant to write. I was even more amused when we got their flier the next day, and it advertised "Free Garlic Bread at 1 am for all the Party People."

Now, I like garlic bread as much as the next person. In fact, maybe even more than the next person. But, I've never been enticed to go to a party for free garlic bread. Nor can I imagine that so-called party people would be enticed by bread smeared with garlic. Actually, I suppose it depends upon what they mean by party people. There were an awful lot of pizza places at the beach advertising "happy pizza" -- a few bucks extra will buy you pizza with marijuana on it. I suppose free garlic bread would be a nice side to that pizza.

Needless to say, I did not partake of the pizza or the garlic bread -- or the shit shots, for that matter.

No comments: