Sunday, June 3, 2007

Don't Cry for Me Argentina

After much ado, I'm finally back in the U.S. I made my way out of Tierra del Fuego, and arrived home a few days ago -- although about 25 hours after I was supposed to be home.

It's been a flurry of activity since I got back. I was down in DC on Thursday and Friday getting my visa for Vietnam and seeing friends (and also having my car fixed after it decided to fall apart on Thursday -- you'd think it was made by Aerolineas Argentinas). Barb was in town doing the same thing, so we went shopping for stuff for the trip. Then, I stayed with my friends Madhu and Elin, two of the most gracious hosts ever. They always make you feel right at home -- even though when I have tried to return the favor I have managed to lock them out of my apartment in the middle of the night not once, but TWO separate times.

Right now I'm at my parents' place in Maryland until I leave for Vietnam early on Saturday morning. It's pretty relaxing out here, and I'm delighted that I don't have to try to figure out what I'm saying in Spanish before I speak. Also, it smells like honeysuckle.

I think I'm adjusting back to American culture very easily -- last night I had a dream that I was in a reality show kind of like The Amazing Race, and that I got in a fight with Donald Trump about it. I suppose you could call that a nightmare. If this is what my subconscious is thinking under so-called normal circumstances, I can't wait to see what kind of strange dreams I have once I start taking the malaria pills.

No comments: