Tuesday, May 1, 2007

May Day!!!

Today is a national holiday in Argentina, May Day. I'm not entirely sure what everyone is celebrating. I'm told that it's sort of like our Thanksgiving, but somehow I doubt that there will be turkey and stuffing (or anything that doesn't involve mayonesa, Argentina's favorite condiment). I've asked around whether there are any parades or festivals or maypoles or whatnot, and so far, I've heard of nothing -- only that maybe people will catch up on sleep, and that everything is closed today.

It's been a pretty chill few days. The weather was sunny and dreamy the last few days. Yesterday, I went on a very fun bike tour around town and I now find myself sunburned and covered in mosquito bites. But it was worth it. Over the weekend, Barb and I met up in Palermo to wander around, and also to have dinner at a fondue place. (I love this place: $25 total for the dinner for both of us, including one of the best bottles of wine on the list.)

A number of peeps from home have asked about my Spanish. It's kind of hit or miss -- I can function, and am great at ordering in restaurants, but I can't really emote or carry a conversation. For the most part, people are happy that you are just trying. But not always... The other day, I took a cab back to my apartment and the cab driver was trying to have a conversation with me. I told him that I didn't understand, and that I only spoke "a little Spanish." Even after this, he kept asking me questions in Spanish, and I told him again that I didn't understand. His response, in Spanish: "A little Spanish?" followed by uncontrollable belly laughter.

He clearly sucked, but it got me thinking about taking Spanish lessons. I think that I'm going to try and take some classes. I hate not being able to talk to people, other than to live out the dialogues from my seventh grade Spanish class, which I still remember, word for word. For example:

1: Buenos dias, Senor.
2: Buenos dias, Senorita.
1: Como esta usted?
2: Muy bien gracias, y usted?
1: Asi, Asi.
2: Ay -- lo siento.
1: Adios. Hasta la vista.
2: Adios. Hasta manana.

Thanks, Senor Randolph. I'm grateful for everything we learned, but if only you had taught us a dialogue about how to make an appointment for a hot stone massage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know, Base, that your blog is both hilarious and uplifting. One tip on the Spanish: try speaking in English with a strong Spanish accent (and point a lot)...it worked for me when I was trying to buy shoes in Barcelona/hit on a cute Spanish guy. MLP

Yo! SLB Raps said...

Interesting. That's also how you used to order egg rolls from the cart lady.