Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Long Hot Summer

So, it's fall in Buenos Aires -- essentially May is their November. Yet, it is so hot and humid right now, it feels like I'm living out the movie A Time to Kill. Except, instead of looking all glowy and glisteny and sipping lemonade, I feel like I came out of a swamp. And there's no Matthew McConaughey around trying to pretend that he's a lawyer, instead of a pot-smoking, naked bongo player possibly having a clandestine affair with america's beloved sports hero, Lance Armstrong. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

The interesting thing is that the Portenos think it's kind of cold out. I see people walking down the street in a jacket and scarf, and it's 70 degrees out. I guess because the weather is pretty mellow here, they get excited when it drops slightly, and they get to break out their fall clothing. It reminds me of when I was a kid and always wanted to wear a new outfit to the first day of school -- even though September in Baltimore was usually swampy and it was completely inappropriate to wear a sweater and jeans to school. Proof in point -- the second day, I always wore shorts.

I went to dinner tonight with Barb at this awesome Italian place we stumbled onto. I love BA restaurants. While we were waiting for a table, they brought us Champagne to ease the pain that we had to wait about five minutes for a table. (They also do that at my favorite restaurant, La Cabrera, too. More on La Cabrera later.) We had apps and a fantastic bottle of wine and yummy pasta dishes. Total bill was less than $40. And, they brought us a little cordial of Limoncello at the end, just for good measure. It's so civilized.

So now, I just got home from dinner. (If you don't wake up until 2 pm, then dinner at 11:30 pm makes perfect sense). My belly is full of yummy food, and I'm going to try to do something to moderate the swampiness. Sweet dreams, all.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Wow, Stace, this is all sounding SO GREAT. I am jealous and happy for you. After a killer couple of weeks of work -- I think I started my new job at exactly the time you ended yours -- things are settling in and I can finally do stuff like read my friends' blogs. Which I just did with yours, from beginning to end. Extremely entertaining and funny, can't wait to read more.

Rebecca said...

That sounds WONDERFUL. I have big plans to make home made Limoncello this year. It's Italian you know. You'll come over and we'll make it, k?

Rebecca said...

And by the way, the Spanish have no word for lime. Seriously. I played name that fruit with Carlos way back in the day and it was always limon verde . . . green lemon. Hmmm now I must start a new blog and call it Limon Verde . . . or perhaps, Name That Fruit.