Sunday, May 6, 2007

Don't Stop Believin'

Everything 1980's is very popular here in Buenos Aires. I see people wearing 80's style clothing on the streets with no apparent irony -- off the shoulder numbers, or slouchy boots, or sequin headbands. (I've also seen a few trucker hats, too, which I associate more with 2002 Billy-Burg Hipster, although in reality the original incarnation was in the 80's.) The 80's fashion is probably a trend that the portenos should embrace one last brief time for posterity, and then set it free.

But, the music. The music. I'm loving the 80's music. Because, it's not just mainstream 80's. I'm hearing tons of Cure and New Order and I'm loving it. Last night Barb and I met up with our new ex-pat friend Missy at a local bar. (Thanks for the intro, Kelly.) I seriously felt like I was in high school again -- apart from the fact that we were drinking $6 beers (instead of Bartles & James) and were out way past curfew. They played New Order and Depeche Mode and Blondie and even the somewhat obscure song by Camoflauge, "Love is a Shield." (I hesitate to call Camoflauge a one-hit wonder, since I'm not even sure the song qualifies as a hit. Still, it was a hit to me, and I played it over and over again when I was full of after school, teenage angst.)

I'm surprised at how many lyrics I still remember from the old songs. It made me wish that my friends from high school, Becky and Dana, were there with me to sing it out. It also made me want to track down some Kar-a-oke. Suffice it to say that the music is making me very happy.

Also making me happy -- my friend Danielle and her mom arrived this morning. We just spent the afternoon wandering around a street fair in my neighborhood and the Recoleta Cemetery. The cemetery is an old, gothic, Mausoleum-filled cemetery, home to the grave of Evita Peron and many, many feral cats. (As far as I can tell, there is no direct connection between the two, although both have helped make Andrew Lloyd Webber a very rich man.)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Don't you love those kinds of nights out? So fun but in a way bitter sweet? The last time I had one I drunk dialed Shone at 2 in the morning. Nice.

When you come back you'll come to my house and we'll sit in front of my stereo, sing at the top opf lungs and drink Purple Passion. ;)

Sailaja said...

Haha, Stace, I just caught up on your blog (valuable 799 time), and funny enough, I had "Don't Stop Believin" in my head all of last week. I find it somewhat unfair, though, that you get 80s music in Buenos Aires, and I'm left listening to it in a cheesy Murray Hill bar, while being hit on by investment bankers who need to be told to put their collars down. Sigh...I guess I'll just have to wait for my own around the world voyage someday. Glad to see youo're having such a wonderful time!