Thursday, May 17, 2007

Hot, Hot, Hot

I'm leaving Buenos Aires in just under a week for Patagonia, and I can't believe the time has gone so quickly. Tonight -- or should I say this afternoon -- I met up with Barb and Missy to have lunch and wander around Palermo, ducking into various shops along the way.

Palermo is the neighborhood next to mine (Recoleta). Recolata is kind of like the Upper East Side, with a lot of fancy hotels and shops. (I learned on Monday that the Alvear Palace, one of the fanciest hotels in BA, which also happens to be around the corner from my apartment, will bring you Pringles in a sterling silver bowl when you order a drink there. It's right up your alley, Doogs. I have decided that's how I'm eating Pringles from now on. Enough of this can business.)

But, I digress. Palermo is kind of more like the Village. Well, I say Palermo, but there are actually a bunch of different subsets of Palermo: Palermo proper, Palermo Chico (near the MALBA art museum), and Palermo Viejo. Palermo Viejo is where I like to go out for dinner or drinks, and it is broken up into Palermo Soho and Palermo Hollywood. (The two mini-barrios are separated by railroad tracks. Palermo Soho is hip/chic, whereas Palermo Hollywood is literally on the wrong side of the tracks -- it's pretty cool, but still has plenty of areas that have not yet been gentrified.) Confused yet? It took me the better part of a month to finally figure out what part of Palermo I was in. Don't ask me to tell you why they are called Palermo Soho or Palermo Hollywood.

Anyhoo, I went out with Barb and Missy this afternoon in Palermo Viejo, and we ended up shopping, going to an extended happy hour (which exists in name here, if not really in spirit -- Portenos aren't big drinkers), and then going for a late (spicy hot) dinner at one of the three Thai/Vietnamese restaurants in town. After weeks of tasty but mild beef and cheese and jamon, the three-alarm curry was a nice change-up.

All in all, it was a good day. As I was out tonight, I was thinking that I really could continue like this forever.

4 comments:

Elin said...

God, I love a Pringle. But I wonder if they manage to fit the whole can in the silver bowl ... if not, then it's not worth it.

M said...

Elin, let's be honest -- you'd love Pringles served in a silver bowl, no matter the quantity.

Yo! SLB Raps said...

I think they fit a shortie can into the silver bowl. But, it's the Alvear Palace -- they can always refill the bowl.

P.S. There was also a teeny silver bowl with almonds and cashews.

Rebecca said...

Ha ha you said DOOG. Do you know I actually still have that piece of paper form that game where you wrote down the definition of Doog. ha ha ha ha ha

now I want pringles