Saturday, April 19, 2014

This Could be Para . . . Para . . . Paradise.

Before I left, I told everyone -- and I do mean everyone -- who crossed my path that I was taking a two week vacation to Bali.  Yes, it was obnoxious.  But, I really couldn't contain my joy.

Last week, I mentioned to a young-ish paralegal at work that I was going to be in Bali.

Paralegal:  Oh, Bali.  That's a great place for women.
Me:  What does that mean?
Paralegal:  It's like Thailand is for men.
Me:  Okay.  But what does that mean?
Paralegal:  You'll see.

Suffice it to say, odd conversation.  I get what he is saying about Thailand, but does he really think that paying for sex with random people in a foreign country has the same appeal for women?

But, if by "great place for women," you mean a place where you can sit on the beach, under a tree, with a breeze blowing, staring at the aquamarine ocean stretching out to the horizon, while sparrows flutter across the view and a nice man brings you perfectly cubed frozen watermelon on a stick . . . and then you get back to your room and someone has left you a chocolate bunny for easter while you were at the beach . . . then yes, Bali is a great place for women. 

(This all happened today.  Except for the sparrows part.  I mean, there were birds, but I don't know if they were sparrows, because I don't actually know what sparrows look like.  They were these cute little black birds that were as if drawn by a child - the quintessential bird.  Hence, I decided it was a sparrow.)

In the morning I'm off to Ubud, for the cycling component of the trip.  Seven days of cycling around the island.  I'm apprehensive about the cycling.  And the talking to people I don't know.  (My fall back topic for the last month won't work.  Me:  I'm in Bali.  Them:  Um, yeah, us too.)

But for now, I have a chocolate bunny.

No comments: