Sunday, December 2, 2007

To Madhu: Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner

I stopped blogging once I arrived back. Nothing exciting was going on. And, the few amusing things I had to say were being said in person. I couldn't possibly share the same bits on my blog, especially considering my audience was hearing it in person.

But, I hear I still have an audience of at least one. At least one faithful reader. So, I'm going to try and blog more. But, don't be mad if I'm kind of boring when you see me these days. It's because I'm saving my best stuff for my blog.

In the meantime...

I went out tonight. It feels like the first real time that I have gone out since I moved back. That's not technically true because I've been out in DC since I moved in mid-November. But for some reason this felt like the first time back. It was nice, although a little strange -- I'm home and maybe a little tipsy by midnight.

Upstairs, my neighbors are throwing a party. Ten years ago, that was me. I can hear the music and what I think is dancing. It sounds a little like Stomp! and a little like the Rockettes. Lots of rhythmic stomping that I'm assuming is dancing. Well, not this second because a slow song is on. Were we this loud ten years ago?

Speaking of ten years ago and my lost youth, I was driving home this morning and I heard a song on the radio that reminded me of my senior year in high school -- Jesus Jones' Right Here, Right Now. Totally saccharin song, but it still reminds me of my senior year. Fortuitous timing on our part that it came out right before we graduated, and not some other year. Anyway, as I was listening to the song -- and actually listening to the lyrics for the first time -- it reminded me of how much time has passed. When we were getting ready to graduate, the Berlin Wall had just fallen and the whole Cold War ended. We were so optimistic -- geez how things have changed. I can't imagine today's high school seniors feel so care free and hopeful. I hope they are oblivious to the world's current ailments.

Not to change topics, but the theme song from Dirty Dancing is playing at the party upstairs. and the feet stomping has started again -- I can't wait for the lift! No wonder we were so optimistic.

2 comments:

M said...

Hooray! You're back and better than ever.
I don't know if we were so loud when we were young. I certainly had more patience for the loudness of others, however.

Rebecca said...

I'm betting we danced to that song at some time in our teenage years. Hmm . . . I, too, have lost my patience for loudness. Or perhaps only for the volume at which I care to listen to mariachi music coming through my wall.