Tuesday, December 18, 2007

O Christmas Tree

I got my tree last week, so it's beginning to look like Christmas in my apartment...instead of a moving box graveyard.

It was a minor ordeal to get the tree. Ostensibly, picking up a tree is easy, and I just went to the local Home Depot for a bargain $25 tree. The problem, however, is getting a tree when you are just one person. It can sometimes feel a bit lonely to get a tree -- as depicted in When Harry Met Sally -- but more than anything else, it's just awkward and bulky for one person to carry.

Of course, after all the work getting it here, I haven't decorated it yet. Just some randomly strung lights. Decorating the tree really isn't that interesting, and it requires a lot of effort. And, you get nearly the same effect if you put the tree in the corner and throw some lights on.

I may break down and decorate it today, if only to hide the fact that the branches are already drying up and losing their needles like a junkie in rehab (or a pregnant nicole richie). I'm hoping this baby lasts until Saturday, when I'm having some people over for a holiday dinner. I fear by then it will look like all the trees that get tossed out on the curb -- brown and dry and naked.

Speaking of which, I need a name for my tree. A british name. The tradition of naming the tree something british started in college, for reasons I no longer know. I'm not sure what's stranger -- the fact that we named our tree at all, or the fact that the name had to be british. In any case, I need a name. Maybe Beatrix.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nigel
Fiona
Chester
Geoffrey
Clarence
Chauncey

Elin said...

Damn, I was going to say Fiona!

Stace, at least your tree doesn't emit an odor of socks soaked in vomit. Or does it? (Ours does.)

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

Rupert. Only a boy tree would sell his ass on the corner for 25 bones.

Wish I was coming Saturday. I think we are going to a party. As you knwo, I'm not sure who's but I know it's someone's. But I'll call you.

hugs yo

M said...

I suggest one of the ridiculously ugly names only posh English people have. You know, like "Prunella" or "Fennella" or "Georgina" (I've known one of each).