Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Socrates, Postscript

So, as luck would have it, I arrived to class tonight and there was no sign of Sarah. Turns out she had to drop out of training for some reason. I was initially gleeful, and then I put together the fact that I think she dropped out because of a death in the family. I don't wish that on anyone, no matter how annoying they are. So for that reason, I wish she were still in class.

Besides, tonight's stuff was so emotionally draining that I don't think I could have mustered up any outrage at your garden-variety pompous intellectual. We spent three hours talking in detail about violence against women, stalking, and sexual assault. There was no smirking, and a few times it took all of my energy and focus not to bust out in tears in front of a room full of strangers. It also occurred to me that these sessions are probably a large contributor to why I've been having trouble sleeping the past few nights. I don't know how people work in these areas as a full time job -- my hat is off to them.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

If I haven't told you, I admire you for taking part in such an important organization!