Monday, February 11, 2008

I'm Super, Thank You for Asking

I' ve been feeling kind of contemplative lately, dozens of questions running through my head. Like:

Is it weird to make your bed at 10 pm? I was reading some magazine article last week, and the author was talking about her sister's weird friend who would make her bed at night, if she forgot in the morning. Well, last night I found myself changing my sheets and making my bed at 10 oclock at night. And I wondered - Am I a Weirdo? Maybe, but not for the sheets thing. I mean, what could be better than cool, clean sheets on a Sunday night.

Who am I going to vote for in tomorrow's primary? I have no idea. I'm a registered Dem, and the two choices seem so similar. And either would be kind of exciting. I guess I should be glad that I even get to vote at all, considering DC's lack of representation otherwise. (Interestingly, both candidates were on the local station tonight touting how DC should have representation. That's a political promise I'd love to see come into being.)

What makes a superdelegate "super"? Again, no idea. But, in my head, I wish they would all have to respond to the question "How are you doing?" with the South Park Movie song "I'm Super, Thank You for Asking." Otherwise, what's the point.

Is VH1's Rock of Love only good in light of the writer's strike? I think the answer to that is no -- the show is genuinely good, in a lowbrow, trashy kind of way. For the uninitiated, Rock of Love is a reality dating show like the Bachelor, except the eligible bachelor is one Brett Michaels of Poison fame and acclaim. I'm not ashamed to admit I saw Poison live and in concert -- chronologically, this was after the Duran Duran concert, but before Crowded House and Depeche Mode. I'm also not ashamed to declare my love for Brett Michael's latest project. The contestants on the show are sleazy with a capital Ho, and not afraid to let America see that side of them -- or any other scantily dressed side of them, either. Huzzah for VH1 and Brett Michaels both for bringing this show to the masses. And huzzah to the lovely ladies who make the show everything that it is.

Have I been moisturizing enough in the New Year? Probably not. A few weeks ago, I switched focus, and was working on my new year's resolution not to get diabetes, instead of moisturizing more. (You'd think it would be easy to work on both at once, particularly since I have yet to start a new job, but you'd be dead wrong.) Anyway, yesterday I gave my skin the old glance over, and I realize I've been so neglectful on the moisturizing front. This happens every year. I start out strong with lots of product, but it only lasts a few weeks. I mean, sure, my blood sugar is probably lower and everything, but do I have soft and lovely skin? Not a whit.

Is it time to take another trip somewhere? I've been thinking about doing a little traveling again. Maybe somewhere in the US. The current thought is to check out Asheville, NC and maybe Pigeon Forge, TN. I lived in Asheville for about a year when I was in elementary school, and I had absolutely no idea what a cool, artsy little town it was. My most vivid memory of Asheville is of my seventh birthday party, where we invited the whole class to the party (because someone said that was the etiquette) and then only four kids came. We were eating little individual ice cream cups for months. So sad. Anyway, I'd love to go back and check out the town and the Biltmore Estate as an adult. As for Pigeon Forge, it goes without saying that the small Tennessee town is home to Dolly Parton's eponymous Dollywood theme park, a place I've longed to see for many years. The time has come, I think.

So that's what I'm thinking right now. Dollywood and Presidential primaries. Perhaps that should be how I decide. Anecdotally, or at least on Sunday morning political talk shows, you hear stories about how people allegedly elect the person President that they would most like to have a beer with. (It makes sense for the Clinton era, in that it seems beyond debate that Bill Clinton would probably be a more fun beer swilling companion than Mr. George H.W. Bush. I'm not sure how applicable it is to later elections, though.)

In any case, maybe I should ask myself: which candidate would be more fun to tour Dollywood with? Is Hilary more likely to whoop and holler on Daredevil Falls or would she cry like a baby at the highest, fastest waterfall ride in North America? Would Obama pout about getting his suit wet on the Smokey Mountain River Rampage, or would he shake it off and suggest we go get a deep fried twinkie dog and a funnel cake whilst we dry out? Good questions. I only wish I had called in to the local station tonight to ask.

2 comments:

M said...

I went to a wedding once where I met a couple of people who had fled NYC to settle in Asheville, where they could support themselves by freelancing. It sounded fantastic.

And I've been to Gatlinburg, Tenn., right next to Pigeon Falls, although I didn't go to Dollywood. Still, a lot of fun in a weird, kitschy sort of way.

Kelly Kelly Kelly said...

Is now the time to persuade you that mid-March would be the perfect time to meet me in Australia?