Monday, February 21, 2011

You Can't Win Friends With Salad

Day one of the vegan adventure went pretty well. In the morning, I went shopping for my various and sundry vegan items for the week. I decided to go to a regular grocery store and see how well I fared. I took a long time because I was reading labels -- there are so many ingredients in things that I don't even know what they are. And also, I couldn't find non-green lentils. So, looks like I'll be heading to Whole Foods or a health food store anyway.

The real challenge yesterday was dinner at my friend Kate's house. I had purposefully planned this week thinking that I had no social obligations. But, dinner last week was postponed to this Sunday. Fortunately, we had talked about having pizza, and folks kindly agreed to order from a place where you could substitute vegan cheese. (Which I ended up skipping, because this place had a pizza without cheese that you could order. I decided that no cheese is probably better than fake cheese.)

As a gesture of goodwill -- heh -- I offered to bring a vegan dessert to dinner. After much ado and the realization that I couldn't find graham crackers at Harris Teeter without honey, I ended up making something that was supposed to be a vegan brownie. In the end, I think it would have been better suited for caulking gaps in my kitchen floorboards. It was gummy and strange, with no resemblance to brownies or anything remotely delicious.

Still, dinner was a success, even if the dessert was dismal and I lost at Scrabble. Tonight is the real challenge -- dinner out at Zengo, which features asian-latin small plates. I goofed, and thought dinner was planned for next week. I'm a little dubious about the menu offerings, and fear I'll be feasting on a tiny plate of overpriced seaweed salad. Maybe this is how the Oprah producer lost 11 pounds...

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Good for you! What the hell are green lentils? And seriously, fake cheese cannot be good.

I do know you can make Vegan cupcakes using apple sauce and or canola oil in place of eggs and butter and then substitue almond milk for regular. I'll find you a recipe.

I'll also send you that Low GI cook book for your next challenge. My challenge? Eat under 1500 cals a day and not to break down and eat the giant bag of M&Ms I made Luis bring me yesterday.