Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It's a little bit funny...this feeling inside

I'm leaving on Friday, and this week should be a flurry of last minute errands and packing. But, thanks to the internet, I ordered a new camera on-line, so I there's no need to leave the comfort of my home today. It's rainy and cold out, and I have to say, this is precisely the kind of day that would always make me want to stay home from work and lounge in pajama pants -- particularly since I spent all day yesterday traipsing around in the rain in Philadelphia, city of Brotherly thugs, trying to get additional pages added to my passport. So today, due to the joyous fact that I'm not working, I can spend the day playing Excite Truck on the wii. (I love my life.)

The one other thing I might muster the energy to do today is to find some new music for my trip. I've got an iTunes gift card to burn, but am really out of the music loop. When I was in high school and college, I really liked music and was hip to whatever new music was coming out. These days, though, I have no idea what's new and awesome. I blame it partly on the dirth of even nominally decent radio stations in New York, but largely on my ever-advancing march to middle-age.

In any case, whatever the cause, I'm tired of every song I own, and I have a fifteen hour flight. (Someone please tell me why I decided to load so much Elton John onto my iPod. Seriously? Of course, now that I took the time to load it I don't feel like removing it.)

I'd really love any recommendations for songs/cds to download...or any good books for that matter.

3 comments:

Ashley Koonce said...

good books: under the banner of heaven, caucasia, and since you'll be in africa, Kafir Boy. Have an awesome time!

Anonymous said...

Check out Dave Manning. He sings a song about life can't get any worse than when your ex-girlfriend goes home from the bar with Weird Al Yankovic.

Unknown said...

if you're after modern literature, don't hesitate to reach for Ian McEwan, specifically 'Saturday'. It was written a little after 9/11 so there's a lot of underlying political themes going on and very richly addressed as well.

I suppose Toto's Africa would be a little cheesy a recommendation Hahah